21 September 2007

what i'm learning about the meaning of judgment

I want to share that I am learning about the judgment of people that Jesus calls us not to do in Matthew 7:1 "Judge not, that you be not judged." I have never before thought that this is something I do/have done. However, now that I'm learning more about what it means, I know that I have judged too much. Tim helped me to see this when he shared from the book Divine Conspiracy about how its author, Dallas Willard, explains judging. What I gathered from what Tim told me is that the wrong of judging is to categorize a person as someone who is "different."

This rings true to me, as I have definitely in my mind set aside some people as being "different." I have done that especially with people who I feel have sinned against me/hurt me, and then we haven't been able to understand each other and come to peace and forgiveness about that hurt. Then, I have gone and considered that person as "different." Instead I should remember that though he or she has hurt me, so have I hurt people, and in that equality we are both in need of mercy. I shouldn't count that person as someone from whom I can no longer learn or by whom I no longer seek to love and be loved.

I feel that this is only the tip of the iceberg for me in uprooting my tendency to judge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Emily, you are so right! I am with you in the same struggle. It can be hard to keep an open mindset and love all around. I love what you said: '... we are both in need of mercy'. I try to keep that in mind. How prideful I am when I think I have the right to judge someone or write them off. God have mercy on me.